Saturday, August 14, 2010

Last Days is Brazil; First Days in Michigan

Drummer at the Cultural Festival in Salvador

And I'm back!!! I have been getting settled into life in the States for the past....week and a half, maybe?, and I am LOVING IT!!!! I really missed home; there is no place like it. I realize more and more how much I need structure in my life....globetrotting can be fun, but in small doses. And I am staying on this side of the border for a while (at least the next few months)...

My townhome is a hot mess, but it is coming around; I will have some "decor" and clothes based pictures to share soon, but for now, here are a few of my last days in Brazil and my first days back home....

Me and a few of my students
I spent the last week in Brazil finishing up things with the group of students that I was working with. It was hard to say goodbye, but I know that they will do well and at least three of them will be coming to the U.S. in the next year for undergraduate study. The organization that the class was part of had a cultural festival during my last weekend, so I attended and got to see some of the students perform (I will have to add those youtube videos later). I also was reminded of the great times that I had during Carnival (ooh, those pics should go up too....I will link to them later).

All female drum troupe...if I was from Salvador, I would SO be part of this group...reminds me of my days as a cultural performer...
Hanging out with one of my students
Crowd scene: There was a mini samba circle going on, plus, I was trying to take some candid natural hair shots....such beautiful people!!!

Exactly one week later, I had my own party to throw in the USA....my son, F's, 13th birthday!! I decided to just do something simple at the local park (I grew up going to this park and its really close to our new place) and invite all the kids we know (cousins and friends). We sat all day waiting for folk to arrive...I said the party was going to be from 1-5 and do you know most folk did not show up until after 4pm!!!! CPT is NOT cool, y'all!! I was a bit miffed, but my son was just happy to be around his folks that he did not complain (too much)...

F. and I throwing the football around

These cuties were NOT hours late! Thanks Y!!



Women's group doing the hustle....everybody hustles in Detroit




He should model, in my motherly opinion...


My little cousins....THEY were hours late, thanks, T. (I need a side eye smiley here)


He is almost as tall as me (amazon that I am..)


The next day, mom, dad, son, and I headed up to the E.L.C. (East Lansing) to complete my transition from mid-Michigan to Southeastern Michigan. I got my stuff out of storage and my dad and F. brought it to the townhome in a Uhaul (we had movers on each end of the trip load and unload the stuff....dad is in great shape, but at 60, refuses to lift furniture when he can pay others to do so....well I paid, but he would of if I needed him too...once a daddy's girl, always a daddy's girl).

My guys...they both have to same "will you hurry up" look on their faces, don't they?
So now all of that stuff that was in storage is strewn around my house....this weekend I hope to have a great portion of it put away...I need to purge too, but the excess is in the basement for now. Gotta get it together, cause, technically, I start work next week....now, when do I get my first paycheck....?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers